literarylover

Yes, it's a blog about reading.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

The New Yorker (11/7)

The Nov. 7 issue of the New Yorker (Egyptian theme cover) had some great articles. I especially liked “The Translation Wars”, which made me want to read the new translation of Anna Karenina, my second-favorite book. I bought it last year when it came out, but haven’t gotten to it yet. The article on Zola and Cezanne was interesting, tying in slightly with my recent readings on the Dreyfus affair. I also thought Ian Frazier’s “Pensees d’Automne” was really funny. (I usually don’t read the “Shouts and murmurs” column, probably for the same reason I don’t like jokes.) The short story, “The God of War” was another exception to my rule that New Yorker fiction isn’t that good – I liked it a lot. Maybe I need to rethink that rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home